Eva Modebadze on the present and future prospects of Russia-China partnership.
Bozho Kolov recounts the latest news from Bulgaria, Jan-Feb 2020.
– MinKavkaz to be abolished. The resignation of Russia’s government on 22 January will have a direct impact on the North Caucasus (also see below), as the federal Ministry of North [...]
After opposition groups scored big in local elections, Hungary’s right-wing prime minister needs to decide where to take his party. In early January, when Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor [...]
– On December 21st, a state of emergency was declared in Pernik, a mining town in Western Bulgaria about 25 km away from Sofia. Water restrictions had been imposed there in mid-November and [...]
– Russia was handed a four-year ban from all major sporting events by the World Anti-Doping Agency on December 9th. Russia’s participation at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and the 2022 FIFA World [...]
– From December 1st through the 8th, the Tbilisi International Film Festival screened a diverse row of movies, from classic and modern Georgian films, such as Inhale-Exhale (Dito [...]
🇷🇺 North Caucasus Monthly Digest: minors returned from the Middle East and new sanctions against Chechen officials
– Murder of Ingush anti-extremism official. On November 2nd, the head of the Ingush anti-extremism agency, Ibragim Eldzherkiev, was shot dead in Moscow along with his brother, Akhmed [...]
🇧🇬 Bulgaria Monthly Digest: Prime Minister Boyko Borissov visits Washington, and the country is struck by protests
– On November 25th Deputy Director of the National Police Office Blagorodna Makeva announced that in 2018, more than 31 000 reports of domestic violence had been received by the police in [...]